IMPACT OF SERVICE QUALITY ON SATISFACTION AND LOYALTY OF TOURISTS IN RURAL TOURISM OF ŠUMADIJA AND WESTERN SERBIA
The issue of rural tourism service quality does not retain a sufficiently important place in the existing domestic and foreign literature. The purpose of this research in service quality, which is an important initiator of tourist satisfaction and loyalty in rural tourism. The survey was conducted at the beginning of 2020 using a questionnaire based survey method to 299 respondents. With the purpose of checking the impact of the service quality on the satisfaction and loyalty of tourists in rural tourism of Šumadija and Western Serbia, an analysis was performed using SEM - Structural Equation Modeling. The survey results point there is a direct correlation between service quality and satisfaction, and as well between loyalty and satisfaction. Between service quality and loyalty there is not a direct link, but there is a large indirect effect by satisfaction. The implications of this research, limitations and future research recommendations for are outlined.
2. Blažević, M., Petres, G., & Chan, G. (2018). Developing rural tourism in minority ethnic villages: Zlot and Xiaocang She Ethnic Township. Hotel and Tourism Management, 6(2), 71-78. https://doi.org/10.5937/menhottur1802079B
3. Brown, T. A. (2015). Confrmatory factor analysis for applied research. Guilford publications.
4. Casidy, R. (2014). Linking brand orientation with service quality, satisfaction, and positive word-of-mouth: Evidence from the higher education sector. Journal of Nonproft & Public Sector Marketing, 26(2), 142-161. https://doi.org/10.1080/10495142.2014.901004
5. Cizler, J. (2013). Opportunities for the sustainable development of rural areas in Serbia. Problemy Ekorozwoju, 8(2), 85-91. doi: 10.5937/ekonhor1303229R
6. Chen, C. F., & Tsai, D. (2007). How destination image and evaluative factors affect behavioral intentions?. Tourism management, 28(4), 1115-1122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2006.07.007
7. Chen, C. F., & Kao, Y. L. (2010). Relationships between process quality, outcome quality, satisfaction, and behavioural intentions for online travel agencies–evidence from Taiwan. The Service Industries Journal, 30(12), 2081-2092. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642060903191108
8. Chi, X., Lee, S. K., Ahn, Y. J., & Kiatkawsin, K. (2020). Tourist-perceived quality and loyalty intentions towards rural tourism in China. Sustainability, 12(9), 3614. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12093614
9. Chuang, S. T. (2010). Rural tourism: Perspectives from social exchange theory. Social Behavior and Personality, 38(10), 1313. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2010.38.10.1313
10. Cronin Jr, J. J., & Taylor, S. A. (1992). Measuring service quality: a reexamination and extension. Journal of marketing, 56(3), 55-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299205600304
11. Cronin Jr, J. J., & Taylor, S. A. (1994). SERVPERF versus SERVQUAL: reconciling performance-based and perceptions-minus-expectations measurement of service quality. Journal of marketing, 58(1), 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800110
12. Cvijanović, D. V., & Mihailović, B. (2016). Developmental aspects of the Rural Tourism in Serbia. In D. Cvijanović (Ed.), Thematic Proceedings 1st International Scientific Conference Tourism in Function of Development of the Republic of Serbia: Spa tourism in Serbia and experiences of other countries (1-16). University of Kragujevac, Faculty of Hotel Management and Tourism in Vrnjačka Banja.
13. Dašić, D., Živković, D., & Vujić, T. (2020). Rural tourism in development function
of rural areas in Serbia. Economics of Agriculture, 67(3), 719-733. doi:10.5937/
14. Demonja, D., & Ružić, P. (2010). Ruralni turizam u Hrvatskoj: s hrvatskim primjerima dobre prakse i europskim iskustvima. Meridijani.
15. Fang, W. T. (2020). Rural Tourism. In Tourism in Emerging Economies (pp. 103-129). Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-2463-9
16. Gašić, M. (2016). Tourism as a development factor of rural areas in Southren and Eastern Serbia. Doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Economics, Niš. [in Serbian: Gašić, M. (2016). Turizam u funkciji razvoja ruralnih područja južne i istočne Srbije].
17. Gašić, M., Perić, G., & Ivanović, V. (2015a). Development of rural tourism in the Republic of Serbia. BizInfo (Blace), 6(2), 71-81. [in Serbian: Gašić, M., Perić, G., & Ivanović, V. (2015a). Razvijenost ruralnog turizma u Republici Srbiji]. https://doi.org/10.5937/BIZINFO1502071G
18. Gašić, M., Perić, G., Ivanović, V., & Oklobžija, S. (2015b). Quality mangement in rural tourist areas. 18. International Conference ICDQM-2015, Prijedor, 152-158. [in Serbian: Gašić, M., Perić, G., Ivanović, V., & Oklobžija, S. (2015b). Upravljanje kvalitetom ruralnih turističkih područja].
19. Giese, J. L., & Cote, J. A. (2000). Defning consumer satisfaction. Academy of marketing science review, 1(1), 1-22.
20. Grubor, A., & Milićević, N. M. (2019). The implementation of hierarchical latent models in the measurement of perceived service quality. Marketing, 50(3), 179-185. https://doi.org/10.5937/markt1903179G
21. Grönroos, C. (1984). A service quality model and its marketing implications. European Journal of marketing, 18(4), 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000004784
22. He, Y., & Song, H. (2009). A mediation model of tourists’ repurchase intentions for packaged tour services. Journal of Travel Research, 47(3), 317-331. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287508321206
23. Hennessey, S. M., Yun, D., MacEachern, M. & MacDonald, R. (2007). An examination of the effects of perceived quality, price-value and satisfaction on golf tourists’ behavioural intentions: a structural model. Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA) Annual Conference, Canada, 1-12.
24. Heung, V. C., & Cheng, E. (2000). Assessing tourists’ satisfaction with shopping in the Hong Kong special administrative region of China. Journal of Travel Research, 38(4), 396-404. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728750003800408
25. Hosany, S., Ekinci, Y., & Uysal, M. (2006). Destination image and destination personality: An application of branding theories to tourism places. Journal of business research, 59(5), 638-642. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.01.001
26. Hu, H. H., Kandampully, J., & Juwaheer, T. D. (2009). Relationships and impacts of service quality, perceived value, customer satisfaction, and image: an empirical study.The service industries journal, 29(2), 111-125. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642060802292932
27. Irz, X., Lin, L., Thirtle, C., & Wiggins, S. (2001). Agricultural productivity growth and poverty alleviation. Development policy review, 19(4), 449-466. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-7679.00144
28. Jurdana, D. S., & Frleta, D. S. (2012). Tourism development of rural areas–customer perspective. 6thInternational Conference of the School of Economics and Business „Beyond the Economic Crisis: lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead”, Sarajevo, 191-205.
29. Kang, G. D. (2006). The hierarchical structure of service quality: integration of technical and functional quality. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 16(1), 37-50. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520610639955
30. Kim, H. K., & Lee, T. J. (2018). Brand equity of a tourist destination.Sustainability,10(2), 431. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10020431
31. Kline, R. B. (2016).Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. Guilford publications.
32. Koster, R. L., & Lemelin, R. H. (2009). Appreciative inquiry and rural tourism: a case study from Canada. Tourism Geographies, 11(2), 256-269. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616680902827209
33. Kozak, M., & Beaman, J. (2006). Relationship between satisfaction and future behavior.Tourism Analysis,11(6), 397-409.https://doi.org/10.3727/108354206781040795
34. Lane, B. (1994). What is rural tourism?. Journal of sustainable tourism, 2(1-2), 7-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669589409510680
35. Lee, B. C., & Kim, D. K. (2009). Relative importance to tourism decision makers of indicators for sustainable rural tourism development in South Korea: Using AHP approach. Journal of Tourism, 10(2), 21-43.
36. Lee, S., Jeon, S., & Kim, D. (2011). The impact of tour quality and tourist satisfaction on tourist loyalty: The case of Chinese tourists in Korea. Tourism Management, 32(5), 1115-1124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2010.09.016
37. Loureiro, S. M. C. (2012). Tourism in rural areas: foundation, quality and experience. Visions for Global Tourism Industry–Creating and Sustaining Competitive Strategies, Sl, InTech, 441-460.
38. Loureiro, S. M. C., & González, F. J. M. (2008). The importance of quality, satisfaction, trust, and image in relation to rural tourist loyalty. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 25(2), 117-136. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548400802402321
39. Loureiro, S. M. C. (2006). Gestión de la Calidad en el Turismo Rural. PhD dissertation. Universidad Extremadura, Spain.
40. Loureiro, S. M. C., & González, F. J. M. (2009). Perceived quality in rural lodgings in Spain and Portugal: the RURALQUAL scale. Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, 14(1), 33-52.
41. Loureiro, S. M. C., & Kastenholz, E. (2011). Corporate reputation, satisfaction, delight, and loyalty towards rural lodging units in Portugal. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(3), 575-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2010.10.007
42. Maestro, R. M. H., Gallego, P. A. M., & Requejo, L. S. (2007). The moderating role of familiarity in rural tourism in Spain. Tourism Management, 28(4), 951-964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2006.08.009
43. Mandarić, M., Milicević, S., & Sekulić, D. (2017). Traditional values in the function of promotion of Šumadija and Pomoravlje as rural tourism destinations. Economics of Agriculture, 64(2), 787-803. https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1702787M
44. Martínez, J. M. G., Martín, J. M. M., Fernández, J. A. S., & Mogorrón-Guerrero, H. (2019). An analysis of the stability of rural tourism as a desired condition for sustainable tourism. Journal of Business Research, 100, 165-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.03.033
45. Milićević, S., Podovac, M., & Čavlin, M. (2015). Resources for development of the Rača Municipality as a rural tourism destination. Economics of Agriculture, 62(3), 751- 765. https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1503751M
46. Novaković, S., & Perić, G. (2018). The identification of the main factors of the development of rural tourism on Stara Planina mountain. 3rd International Thematic Monograph - Thematic Proceedings: Modern Management Tools and Economy of Tourism Sector in Present Era, Belgrade, 775-786. https://doi.org/10.31410/tmt.2018.775
47. Nowacki, M. M. (2009). Quality of visitor attractions, satisfaction, benefits and behavioural intentions of visitors: Verification of a model. International Journal of Tourism Research, 11(3), 297-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.689
48. Osman, Z., & Sentosa, I. (2013). Mediating effect of customer satisfaction on service quality and customer loyalty relationship in Malaysian rural tourism. International Journal of Economics Business and Management Studies, 2(1), 25-37.
49. Pan, L., Zhang, M., Gursoy, D., & Lu, L. (2017). Development and validation of a destination personality scale for mainland Chinese travelers. Tourism Management, 59, 338-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2016.08.005
50. Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. Journal of marketing, 49(4), 41-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298504900403
51. Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). Servqual: A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perception of service quality. Journal of retailing, 64(1), 12-40.
52. Perić, G., Gašić, M., Stojiljković, M., & Nešić, I. (2018). The impact of employee satisfaction on the tourist satisfaction with the services of spa tourism. Economics of Agriculture, 65(2), 617-632. https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1802617P
53. Pavlović, N. (2016). Entrepreneurial idea as a chance for rural tourism development. In D. Cvijanović (Ed.), Thematic Proceedings 1st International Scientific Conference Tourism in Function of Development of the Republic of Serbia: Spa tourism in Serbia and experiences of other countries (552-568). University of Kragujevac, Faculty of Hotel Management and Tourism in Vrnjačka Banja.
54. Petrick, J. F. (2004). The roles of quality, value, and satisfaction in predicting cruise passengers’ behavioral intentions. Journal of travel research, 42(4), 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287504263037
55. Perić, G., Dramićanin, S., & Milenkovski, A. (2020). Measuring perception of service quality of Serbian rural tourism using RURALQUAL scale. Bizinfo (Blace), 11(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.5937/bizinfo2001001P
56. Pike, S. (2009). Destination brand positions of a competitive set of near-home destinations. Tourism management, 30(6), 857-866. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.12.007
57. Podovac, M., Đorđević, N., & Milićević, S. (2019). Rural tourism in the function of life quality improvement of rural population on Goč mountain. Economics of agriculture, 66(1), 205-220. https://doi.org/10.5937/ekoPolj1901205P
58. Radović, G. (2013). Problems of development of rural tourism in the Republic of Serbia. Agroekonomika, 59-60, 114-123. [in Serbian: Radović, G. (2013). Problemi razvoja ruralnog turizma u Republici Srbiji].
59. Rajaratnam, S. D., Munikrishnan, U. T., Sharif, S. P., & Nair, V. (2014). Service quality and previous experience as a moderator in determining tourists’ satisfaction with rural tourism destinations in Malaysia: A partial least squares approach. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 144(144), 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.07.288
60. Roberts, L., & Hall, D. (2001). Rural tourism and recreation: Рrinciples to Practise. CABI Publishing. http://doi.org/10.1079/9780851995403.0000
61. Sharpley, R. (2002). Rural tourism and the challenge of tourism diversification: the case of Cyprus. Tourism management, 23(3), 233-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(01)00078-4
62. Simonović, Z., & Ćurčić, N. V. (2020). Problems of Marketing Rural Tourism in Serbia. In Handbook of Research on Agricultural Policy, Rural Development, and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Economies (pp. 296-313). IGI Global. doi: 10.4018/978-1-5225-9837-4.ch015
63. Singh, J. (1991). Understanding the structure of consumers’ satisfaction evaluations of service delivery. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 19(3), 223-244.
64. Statistical Offce of the Republic of Serbia, Statistical Yearbook 2019, https://www.stat.gov.rs/en-us/publikacije/ (16 January 2020).
65. Su, L., & Fan, X. (2011). A study on the relationships between service quality, satisfaction, trust and loyalty among rural tourism. In ICSSSM11 (pp. 1-6). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSSSM.2011.5959418
66. Su, L., Swanson, S.R. and Chen, X. (2016), The effects of perceived service quality on repurchase intentions and subjective well-being of Chinese tourists: the mediating role of relationship quality, Tourism Management, 52, pp. 82-95. doi: 10.1108/SJME-09-2018-0041
67. Topalović, S., & Marinković, V. (2020). A multidimensional approach to the analysis of perceived value in tourism. Hotel and Tourism Management, 8(1), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.5937/menhottur2001049T
68. Tsiotsou, R. (2006). The role of perceived product quality and overall satisfaction on purchase intentions. International journal of consumer studies, 30(2), 207-217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2005.00477.x
69. UNWTO, Master plan – Sustainable Tourism for Rural Development, https://futurehospitalityleaders.fles.wordpress.com/2012/11/master-plan-odrzivog-razvojaruralnog-turizma-u-srbiji.pdf (16 January 2020)
70. Veljković, S., & Đorđević, A. (2010). Brand values for consumers and companies. Marketing, 41(1), 3-16. [in Serbian: Veljković, S., & Đorđević, A. (2010). Vrednost brenda za potrošače i preduzeća].
71. Vujić, M., Đorđević, S., & Lakićević, M. (2019). Service quality and customer satisfaction in the hotel industry in Serbia. Hotel and Tourism Management, 2019, 7(1), 61-70. https://doi.org/10.5937/menhottur1901061V
72. Vuković, P. (2017). Karakter i dinamika razvoja ruralnog turizma u Republici Srbiji. Ekonomika, 63(4), 53-60. Doi:10.5937/ekonomika1704053V
73. Wang, C. Y., & Hsu, M. K. (2010). The relationships of destination image, satisfaction, and behavioral intentions: An integrated model. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 27(8), 829-843. https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2010.527249
74. Xue, L., & Kerstetter, D. (2019). Rural tourism and livelihood change: An emic perspective. Journal of hospitality & tourism research, 43(3), 416-437. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348018807289
75. Žabkar, V., Brenčič, M. M., & Dmitrović, T. (2010). Modelling perceived quality, visitor satisfaction and behavioural intentions at the destination level. Tourism management, 31(4), 537-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.06.005